If you are a camping lover, you know that a tent is the first item you need to choose carefully. It protects you from bad weather like rain, hail, sleet, or snow and is the primary shelter when you are in the woods.
Wherever you are camping and whoever it is with, friends or family, a lousy tent will ruin all the fun.
Here is our list of Best Family Tents for Bad Weather:
If you choose one single tent for all seasons, this should be the choice. This tent is made with polyester and mesh windows. The structure stands on a fiberglass pole and steel uprights.
It has enough space for 5 people to stay in any terrain. The 3 windows, 1 door, and a mesh roof provide the desired ventilation to keep you dry and comfortable.
This is a heavy tent for regular camping as it is built for stability and strength in any terrain. This is a perfect choice for car campers. It will give your family safety and comforts anywhere and in any season.
- Polyester wall, Mesh windows.
- Browning Big Horn Series is a free-standing tent with fiberglass poles and steel uprights, giving ultimate strength and stability.
- Extra tall center and straight sidewalls allow cots, sleeping bags, and extra gear.
- Four large windows, one doorway, and a mesh roof offer easy entry and ultimate ventilation.
- It is fully equipped with mesh storage pockets, polyester fly, guy ropes, and steel stakes.
- Base Size: 8′ x 10′, Packed Size: 9″ x 29″ Center Height: 84″, Total Weight: 21 lbs.
Coleman Elite Montana 8-Person Tent is an excellent choice for the family outing. You can set it up in 15 minutes.
It is built with weatherproof Taffeta materials. The welded corners and inverted seams are tough to resist rainwater and wind. The robust structure of the tent can withstand 35 miles per hour wind.
The tent has angled windows and a hinged door system. So, even in the rain, you can keep it open and go in and out without a problem.
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; Included rainfly offers extra weather protection. The strong frame is tested to withstand 35+ MPH winds.
- Hinged door: Easily opens and closes and includes an extended awning
- Storage pockets: Keep small gear organized and off the floor.
- Built to last: Double-thick fabric stands up to the elements season after season. Snag-free, continuous pole sleeves for easy setup
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes.
Another great Coleman all-weather tent, made with polyester taffeta 75D synthetic materials to resist rain and heat alike and suitable for 5 to 6 person family camping. The best thing is its height; even a 6 feet person can stand straight inside the tent.
Some good features included are the overhead LED light for hands-free bedtime reading or studying maps, extra ventilation in a separate screened-in room that offers an additional sleeping area on warmer nights. The mesh roof enables to gaze at the sky when the weather is clear, and the rainfly is easily attached for weather protection when it rains.
- polyester taffeta 75D
- Made in the USA
- 6-person camping tent with built-in illumination for family or group trips
- LED system offers three brightness settings for overhead interior light
- The attached 9 x 6 ft. screen room offers a bug-free area for relaxation
- The spacious interior has room for 2 queen airbeds
- WeatherTec system and rainfly keep tent interior dry and comfortable
This is a 4 person tent made with durable and breathable cotton duck canvas material. The tent roof is high enough to walk inside the tent. There are two doors on both the front and backside of the tent, including YKK zippers.
Although it is a one-person setup, you might need help when trying for the first time. The flex-Bow frame is sturdy and easy to set up.
Remember that you can’t use this all-season tent in extreme winter of high altitude or heavy snowfall as it is breathable and can’t trap heat well.
- Made with Hydra-Shield, 100% cotton duck canvas that is durable, watertight, and breathable
- Spacious 6’1″ ceiling height provides walk-around comfort
- Two large D-shaped doors (front and back) with #10 YKK zippers
- Four large windows with no-see-um mesh
- Flex-Bow Frame: Exceptionally sturdy to keep the tent taut. Quick and easy, one-person setup
- Dimensions: 9 ft W x 8 ft D x 6 ft H
- Front Awning (70 x 57 inches) provides covered entry and shade.
- Pack Weight: 54.5 lbs. (includes 6 lbs in stakes).
- Flex-Bow Rods: 3/8-inch, solid, spring steel.
- All-season: Use year-round, but not designed for extreme winter mountaineering or heavy snow accumulations.
This is a big tent from Coleman. It can accommodate 3 queen size air beds easily. There is a detachable inside divider for privacy, welded floor with inverted seams, everything is included to camp in any season.
It is built with fiberglass and alloy steel frame; the fabric is polyester taffeta 75D 450mm PU coating. Durable and sturdy to withstand windy solid conditions.
If you are going to camp with your friends or a larger group for a longer duration, this should be your choice.
- Cabin-like 10-person tent has enough room for 3 queen size air beds
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Hinged front door for easy entry and room divider for extra privacy
- Sets up quickly in 20 minutes
- Measures 17 x 9 feet with a 6-foot 8-inch center height
When you need a giant spacious tent for camping, then Core 12 person tent is perfect for you. It can accommodate 12 people easily, with a center height of 7 feet. Most of the time, when a tent is advertised as 6 or 8 people, they do not consider the space; instead, they mean the person’s sleeping area.
But, with this tent, you can feel at home on a camping site. The walls are straight, and the removable rainfly with mesh will give you an elegant feel anywhere. It almost feels like you are living in a cottage.
The frame is sturdy enough to withstand heavy rain and wind. It’s easy to set up for 3 people, 2 is OK, but you need around 30 minutes.
One downside is it is not very good for the winter season. The top area is meshed and good for keeping bugs out, but it won’t trap the warmth inside during winter. So, if you plan to camp at a high altitude, this is not suitable.
This is like a complete family tent for summer or spring. It will save you from rain, but not a stormy or windy one.
- Made with polyester
- SPACIOUS CABIN: 16 feet x 11 feet with 86 inch center height; sleeps up to 12 people, fits four queen size air mattresses.
- COMFORTABLE: The water repellent rainfly is removable in warmer weather to expose the mesh ceiling for panoramic views for stargazing on clear summer nights.
- The advanced venting system uses the adjustable air intake vent designed to draw in cool air from the ground, while the mesh ceiling allows hot air to escape keeping you comfortable all season.
- MULTI-ROOM OPTIONS: Enter from the front T-Door or back D-Door. Attach the included room divider to create separate living and sleeping spaces. Make one side or the other your private sleeping space (5.5′ x 11′) and use the rest of the room for gear organization (10.5′ x 11′).
- Contains: Tent, rainfly, tent poles, awning pole, room divider, tent stakes, and carry bag.
How to Choose the Best Family Tents for Bad Weather
Nobody wants to go camping in bad weather. But, you do need to prepare for that. This is why if you have a tent ready to withstand rain, snow, or cold, windy situations, this is a plus point.
Choosing a tent mostly depends on what kind of traveler or camper you are. If you are a car traveler, decide on a more extensive tent with weight. You can carry your tent with your backpack for two or three people camping. But, when traveling with family and friends of a bigger group, a larger sturdy tent is a great choice.
The more the number of people, the larger the tent you’ll need. Mostly when a tent says it can accommodate 4-6 people, they mean the sleeping space, not the room required to live in it comfortably.
So decide the tent size is a bit larger than the group people number. If you are traveling with 8 people, we suggest choosing a tent suitable for 12 people. Or, carry two tents sized for 6 people each. You need space to put your gears at the campsite, which will eat up most of the tent space.
Setup time and procedure
Consider this before deciding to buy a particular model. There are plenty of YouTube videos and online reviews of the models. The setup and folding time should be less and more effortless. Although to set up a larger tent for 8 to 12 people, you will need help.
This affects you most when you are camping alone, but when in a group, you always have an extra hand to help you.
The Fabric materials
Our recommendation is to choose polyester or synthetic material for tents. They are cheap, lightweight, and can easily resist water. After the rain, they also dry up quickly. Cotton or breathable tents are fancy and good-looking, but they are priced higher than polyester material tents. Also, they are not a good choice for the windy and cold season.
On another note, using polyester or synthetic material made of tents can accumulate water condensation inside the tent during hot and humid conditions.
Most tents we listed above have a sound ventilation system, and you can easily choose any of them for your family outing.
Family tents are generally larger and weigh heavier than the regular ones. We assume that you are traveling via car and won’t need to carry them too far in your hand.